Life is better on the corner, the place where great wines meet reasonable prices!




Thursday, October 11, 2012

Wine and Food Pairing of the Week: Treana White and Chicken Piccata


"Learn how to cook -- try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless and above all have fun."- Julia Child

Here it’s Thursday the launching point for whether or not you’ll have a successful weekend or perhaps not so much. I mean on Thursday’s you can see the weekend from where you’re seated, standing, gyrating or what ever it’s you do while at work. The point is; it’s nearly here and it’s time to figure-out and or firm up those plans that you may or may not have.

Seeing it’s nearly the weekend, you don’t want to have to fuss too much about tonight’s dinner plans; you're most likely hoping for something quick and easy, but what? Well I have something [an idea really] that will make you look like a freaking super-star chef, something that could even make the wild-eyed Chef Ramsey slow down his fist-pumping and wagging tongue for just moment possibly.

Okay, maybe not. But I would like to think so for a moment, so don’t go getting all ‘judgey’ on me, by being a buzz-kill. Just take this ride with me a moment and you’ll see that even the most slack-jawed vino-sapien in the audience can rock this recipe with class and style. Okay, so here’s the very simple Thursday night recipe, it’s Chicken Piccata. It’s a dish which will pair marvelously with the 2010 Treana White Central Coast Rhone Blend, a sample I [inadvertently] received from my new friends at Jarvis Communications and Hope Family Wines.

Now if you don’t happen to have access to this wine and you happen to have some Sauvignon Blanc lying around, you may want to go in that direction for this pairing, but I wouldn’t go with anything too grassy, I think a Sancerre would get the job done nicely.

And yes for crying out-loud even Mrs. Cuvee gave this pairing her highest recommendation, saying it was “good”. Which if you don’t know her, that is indeed high praise. So now you have just grab a few things to do in order to be ready to make this wonderfully easy and tasty dish. Either you know you have the needed items at home and ready to go or you may have to pick-up a few things on the way home, either way this is still easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy.

So here again is the recipe; the one which I followed and since I almost always have these items on hand, there was no need to rush here and there. I just added a bit of prep work the night before and bingo I was ready to make an easily executed Thursday night meal. Personally, I went a bit lighter on the capers than the recipe calls for, but that is just my personal preference. And oh on the sauce, the recipe seems to skip over the point about heating it until most of wine is evaporated and feel free to plate with the fettuccine pasta of your choice.

Now about the wine, it’s a blend of two Rhone varietals, half Marsanne and the other half Viognier which was partially barrel, fermented. Now with just half of the blend being Viognier, no doubt accounting for much of this wines dramatic exotic tropical fruit aromas and flavors, which bounce like a quarter on freshly made army-cots. There’s a definite lemon blossom thing going on, front to back, with just a drop of honey.

On the palate you’ll find this wine full bodied and round in the mouth without being at all flabby, with a crisp, clean, lingering finish. A wine made to easily pair with food, a wine that is a team player. I scored this wine an easy 90 points and can highly recommend giving it a swirl. It has a $21 SRP but the savvy shopper can find this wine price below $18. Until next time folks remember sip long and prosper cheers!

Get this widget

6 comments:

Wine Harlots said...

Excuse me, Bill.
Who's sample was this really that you purloined?
Bogart Bill!
At least you enjoyed MY sample!

Cheers!

Nannette Eaton

thedrunkencyclist said...

Great write-up--love me some chicken piccata and it has been a while since I have had the Treana. Maybe time to revisit!

Bill Eyer said...

Ha-ha thanks Nannette for that delightful contribution to my sample cache. I've and remain a big fan of Treana White, even though she's completely unaware of my deep abiding affection. [Ha!]

Now regarding the purloining, yes I do admit it appears there was a bit of that going on here, but I have no ‘regrets’ in fact like you say, “He dared smack his lips at how much he enjoyed it.” [sic] in fact I did so with reckless abandon and the paired worked out ever so nicely!

Bill Eyer said...

Hey Drunken Cyclist,

Thanks for the kind words. You should give the Treana White a swirl once more and the pairing with the Piccata is superb. I look forward to reading the review on your own fab blog.

Cheers!

Anna said...

I have not made chicken piccata in a long time. This is a delicious pairing and it sounds like a great idea for the weekend. It's my mom's birthday and I think she would enjoy it.

Bill Eyer said...

Hi Anna,

I know I recently recalled [via a google search] this recipe myself, thinking I need something fast, quick and delicious.

Happy B-day to your Mother, I hope she enjoyed the dish and the wine.

Cheers,

Bill

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...