Life is better on the corner, the place where great wines meet reasonable prices!




Saturday, August 20, 2011

Fermented Thoughts: Kicking Pinot Noir to the Curb?

We've have all at one time or the other have wanted to kick an old tired relationship or a bad habit to the "proverbial" curb. That's right the "don't let the screen door hit your ever expanding posterior on the way out" kind of punt. I know I have felt that way from time to time about past relationships and have even acted on those thoughts and feelings in one way or the other.

But when it comes to wine, I really don't think I could ever do that, especially in the case of one of my favorite varietals, which is Pinot Noir. Its seductive prowess is too much for most mortal vino-sapien to over-come, myself included. I can't do what is being suggested by Lettie Teague in her column this week;  Saying Goodbye to Pinot Noir—for a While. Perhaps her current love-affair with Pinot Noir can best be described by the Classic-Rock super-stars Led Zeppelin who had once sung, "You know I can't quit you baby, so I'm gonna put you down for a while". 

I read this article today and just thought "what"? As much as I like and appreciate her columns and with all due respect I thought; Oh c'mon these types of articles are nothing new, she [Lettie Teague] had written a very similar article a while back about how the "fad" of Super Tuscan's had faded away. Mainly because of the expense and secondly because these wines had ran their course [fifteen minutes of fame] and now it was time to move on to other varietals. Okay I totally get the "hey give other varietals a swirl" speech [variety is the spice of life], but to intimate that you will be kicking the varietal to proverbial curb for the foreseeable future, is in my opinion just plain silly.   

So with that said, I like to roll out for you ten Pinot Noir producers who are making staggeringly wonderful juice for under $40 [depending on where you shop] that in my opinion will impress the hell out of your palate. Because as I've personally experienced more than once and is reflected in my small cellar at home, "you can pay more, but it does not always mean you will get more". So with no further ado, here are some of my "fave" PN producers.











Give these wines a swirl and tell me if I'm dead wrong or right on the mark. I think you will come away with one thought, "Umm, kicking Pinot Noir to the curb is not something I ever plan to do". In the end I think most of us are explorers by nature and you surely don't need me to tell you where to take your palate on vacation. But, I would invite each and everyone you to continue to explore the diverse selection of wines that are just waiting to be discovered and enjoyed. Until next time everyone sip long and prosper, cheers!

Get this widget

2 comments:

Wine Tonite! said...

Kick Pino to the curb? No freakin way... I'd have to kill myself first ; )

Bill Eyer said...

Hey Ed,

That does seem to be the kind of passion PN elicits from those who imbibe upon its fab flavors and aromas.

I think we should all just say "no" to the proposed Pinot Noir abstinence plan!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...