Life is better on the corner, the place where great wines meet reasonable prices!




Thursday, January 17, 2013

Oregon Uncorked: 2009 Manifest Destiny

"The wine cup is the little silver well, where truth, if truth there be, doth dwell" ~ William Shakespeare 

It's great to be in the right place at the right time. This is exactly how after scoring two bottles of the “Inaugural Release” of the Manifest Destiny label. It just so happened that Mrs. Cuvee and I were in the Carlton Winemakers Studio early last month, talking it over and thinking about which wines we might like to purchase, before leaving. As we were thinking, the gentlemen [Jeff Woodard] at the tasting bar recommended that we wait a bit as his winemaking sister Lindsay Woodard was on the way with her own wine, so we waited [we weren't in any hurry].
  
Once she arrived, we offered to help bring in what I think amounted to just about nine cases, but we were waved off. Now I'm pretty sure there is more at the winery, but if you're reading this now, don’t be hesitant another second about grabbing some for yourself. A bottle was quickly opened and Mrs. Cuvee and I chatted with Lindsay a moment, while the glasses were being poured. After a few swishes and me spitting, I was thinking wow this going to be good, but having not been bottled too long ago, it was a bit stiff. At this point I was not jumping up and down with excitement, but something told me, that I better grab a couple, and I'm so glad I listened to my gut. 

Now having got the two bottles home and nicely tucked away in the cellar for just over a month now, the Mrs. and I uncorked a bottle the other night. We paired this alongside a small slab of herb crusted [wild-caught] Sockeye Salmon [grilled] and a tasty mushroom risotto, infused with tiny bits of bacon, oh-my.
Wowsers this is superb Oregon Pinot Noir. The depth, rich earth, the pleasing bright cranberry, dark cherry and dusty baking spices aromas widened both our eyes as we both went in for the first slurp. In the body of this wine is a terrific core of energetic fruit, complexity, well integrated tannins and a very pretty finish.  

Bang, bang this wine is Oregon Pinot at its best, a wine produced with assistance from consulting winemaker Eric Hamacher and one any vino-sapien would be proud to have in the cellar. Well done, Lindsay, well done. What a great showing on your inaugural release, two thumbs all the way up and the awarding of 93 stellar points.

In my opinion this wine will put Manifest Destiny on the map of great Orgundian wines which need to be collected, cellared and properly consumed.  The wine sells in the CWS for $45, but if you get six, there’s incentive for 15% worth of savings, plus no sales tax as a bonus. Until next time folk remember sip long and prosper cheers!
Get this widget

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...