Life is better on the corner, the place where great wines meet reasonable prices!




Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Fié Gris and Me


"The wine cup is the little silver well, where truth, if truth there be, doth dwell" ~ William Shakespeare 

Folks who know me, understand that I'm not a big fan of Sauvignon Blanc, but to be fair I rarely even think about uncorking a white wine. I do however love all types of Sauvignon Blanc as a go-to ingredient for various recipes. That said, every once in a great while, I'll reach for a white wine and often it's something like a Grenache blanc from Paso Robles or the Rhone and possibly even a random Riesling [the wine that supposedly goes with everything].

Last night was one of those moments, as I was preparing Katie Lee's easy-breezy [so simple even a vinosapien like me could prepare that] Sole Meunière Recipe [seen below], while the Prez was giving everyone "the same old song and dance" via the State of Union Show. I sadly opened/uncorked my very last bottle of 2010 Fié Gris I had stashed in the cellar, so now it's time I look for a refill. 


This Recipe below turned out perfectly, and the resulting sauce was in a word "wow" and I know that because the ever fussy [discriminating] Mrs. Cuvee asked for a second helping, that's how I know I've hit the proverbial home-run. A fact that further demonstrates that if I can prepare this dish, anyone can. Sadly, tho she is still not sold on the beautiful qualities of Fié Gris like I am. Btw, if you save room with dessert FG goes great with toasted marshmallows.

Ingredients:

One of the big wine [surprises] discoveries for me last year is a great little wine called Fié Gris, [Éric Chevalier] a wine which to me is the poster boy for "esoteric". And for me to be crazy [wonderfully excited] about any Sauvignon Blanc, it would appear that it has to be French, and it's typically a Sancerre which captivates me so often. Now enter Fie Gris [Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Vin de Pays du Jardin] I really dig this description below.
"Long before there was Sancerre and/or Pouilly-Fumé, certainly long before Marlborough or perhaps even Sauternes. And long, long before there was even Sauvignon Blanc in the New World, storytellers and wine historians say, there was Fie Gris." ~ North Berkeley Imports.
The following was my tasting note from last year. Nothing has changed, this a wine with real soul and substance. The nose on this wine grabbed my attention immediately; very smoky very [gunflint], bell-pepper, loads of wet-stone, infused with just a twist of lemon peel and not fully ripe plums. On the palate, vivid acid, but still a lush full bodied mouth feel, smoke from a distant fire, herbaceous, wet-stone fruit, making for a wonderfully terroir-driven wine experience not to be missed. 

I've not sure ever tasted a wine similar to it, but there's something familiar about it. I found it to be a very exotic wine to be sure, but nonetheless extremely captivating, inviting sips at first, then slurps and finally even a big gulp [oh-my]. 

Until next time folks remember, while we recognize that convenience is an important factor in the fast turn-around bottled [#wine] segment. It's my contention that good food & good wine should not be the rare commodity, but rather it should be a model which we strive to live-by!
Get this widget

2 comments:

GUY said...

Guess who else loves the Fiz Griz!? Cheers! GUY

Bill Eyer said...

Thanks for the introduction, cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...