2005 Epicuro Aglianico Beneventano

I picked up this wine @ TJ's and was scratching my head again. What the heck is this varietal? But hey for $4.99 each, I decided to give it a whirl. Wines produced from Aglianico tend to be full bodied, firm tannins and high acidity Which could mean this wine has aging potential. In my opinion this wines rich flavors means it will be a nice accompaniment to many Italian food dishes without over powering.
On first blush I thought it was a Grenache, but upon searching the website, http://www.dqquino.com/ I found out it is actually made from Aglianico, a rarely grown varietal which originated in Greece. It had all the classic aromas of bright cherries and smoke, framed by subtle spice box similar to a Grenache. The mouth feel of this wine is pleasantly fruity and light. Just a hint of oak. For the price you just can't beat it as an everyday wine. I gave this wine 84 Pt's. Cheers~Enjoy!

Comments

Anonymous said…
This is one of my favorite TJ's value buys. And they're out of it! I can't find it anywhere! Going crazy over here....

Popular Posts