Life is better on the corner, the place where great wines meet reasonable prices!

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Wine of the Week: Something different, Something New

“The Roman belief that wine was a daily necessity made the drink "democratic" and ubiquitous: wine was available to slaves, peasants and aristocrats alike.”

I got to thinking about what would the Wine of the Week look like this time around, and I thought it should be a wine that's both, something different and something new. I say different because this wine is completely different than most dry white wines I encounter and something new because, I had never tasted a wine produced from Torbato before. 

This wine, is possibly the only Torbato you'll find stateside, the Terre Bianche vineyard delivers a complex, mineral driven, dry wine which seems to boast a thousand years of seabed sediment in each sip and slurp, yet it still has abundant weight and a nice mouth feel. A bit of lemon peel rinds on the nose and dried citrus notes on the long, pleasing finish. 

For fans of wines with blazing acid and layers of minerality, this is the wine for you. It sells for $19 most places and can be found here in San Diego, at one thee most diverse wines shops in the city, the place I work on occasion, Bird Rock Fine Wine in La Jolla, Ca.  

As for pairing ideas, this wine got me immediately thinking what I'd pair it with and I, hmm a rich lobster bisque and some crusty bread would do the trick nicely. This wine has freaky high acid, so it should cut through the creaminess pretty easily, making each bite, better then the last. I found a great. quick and easy recipe here. Until next time sip long and prosper cheers!

“A key principle for pairing is to match body with body, so that the wine is not too heavy or light for the dish, and vice versa” ~ Andrea Robinson 

Get this widget

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...