Alsace Uncorked: Schoffit Chasselas, Vieille Vignes

 "It is only the souls that do not love that go empty in this world." Robert Hugh Benson

Ever pick up a bottle of French wine and wonder what varietal it is? This was the case for me when I picked a bottle of Schoffit, Chassselas, and Vieilles Vignes 2005. Being quite comfortable with the producer Schoffit. 

I decided to give this bottle a-go. I really did not know what to expect of this varietal. Since I've drank much of their Pinot Gris and Gewürztraminer, so I was at the very least confident, I would not be disappointed.

Chasselas, my first go around with this grape. I readily admit I had to Google the name of this varietal. But in the course of my research, I knew that the chosen pairing should work-out just fine. According to article I found, the Chasselas grape can produce serious stunning wines, although it is often sold as a mere table grape. 

But this was no ordinary table grape it was Vielles Vignes (btw, I had to look up this French phrase), which means old vines. It is thought that older vines produce a more serious wine.

This wine has aromas of ripe apple and pear, the palate is medium with a gentle finish. It paired ever so nicely with the barbeque chicken marinade. Because this marinade called for a little spice, I thought this wine would go perfectly (and it did). On the side I served seasoned and broiled (makes them crunchy) red potatoes and a few skewers of sumptuous summer veggies.



My rating for this pairing!
INGREDIENTS :
1 cup soy sauce
1 table spoon dark chili powder
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon cooking sherry
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3 cloves garlic, crushed
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves


DIRECTIONS :
In a medium bowl, mix soy sauce, vegetable oil, sherry, brown sugar, and garlic and dark chili powder. Pour into a large resealable bag. Place chicken in the bag, and shake to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator at least 4 hours.

Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil grate.Place chicken on the prepared grill. Cook 6 to 8 minutes on each side, or until no longer pink and juices run clear, Bon Appétit! (BTW, I found this recipe online)

Comments

Popular Posts