Wine of the Week: 2010 Hawks View Cellar Cabernet Sauvignon

"We are geographically agnostic, just because we can't grow it doesn't mean we shouldn't produce it" ~ AJ Kemp Hawks View Cellars. 

One of the best indicators I have when confirming what I think is a superb bottle of wine; is having a bit of tussle with Mrs. Cuvee over who gets the last pour from the bottle, she often wins that contest. Her and I pop the cork on more than a few bottles each week [not disclosing the actual number] and this one was a special treat. 

This is the second or third time [sorry I've lost count] I've encountered this wine. I grabbed [and when I say "grabbed" I mean paid cold-hard cash] a couple of these beauties before departing from last year's Wine Blogger Conference, I'm so glad I did.  

While staying with the great folks at Youngberg Hill [what, you haven't booked a stay there yet?] a grape-wine-destination found just 10-15 minutes outside of fun-in-the Oregon-Sun McMinnville. 

I took the opportunity to catch-up with them again last year, to see how things are shaping for the coming harvest. And yes because I do this little blogger thang here, they waived the normal tasting fees associated with sharing their wines with fellow vino-sapiens [full disclosure]. 

Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed, that this coming year's harvest will arrive early, like the first part of September and I hope [dear reader] you'll will do the same on my behalf. 

The reason has a bit of a selfish-motive, I'd like to take them up [Hawks View Cellar] on their generous offer to work as part of this years 'Harvest' crew. I know it's back-breaking hard-work but that has never scared me off, I think it's great idea for bloggers/writers to refresh their sense of wonder every now and then and this is the perfect opportunity to do just that. 

That said, it's time to dive back into the nitty-gritty details of the review, the reason you all [talking like five people] stopped by here today right? So here we go.
2010 Washington Cabernet-Sauvignon: The grapes were harvested from the Double Canyon vineyard found just across the Oregon border, [see above] an 88 acre site located in Alderdale, Washington. It's quite an amazing vineyard site, one which falls within the Horse Heaven Hills American Viticulture Area [AVA]. I hear the vine rows are two miles longs and hang precariously above the Columbia Gorge. 

At the time of purchase [yes, I put my money where my mouth is] this wine had not been released, but they were generous enough to sell me a bottle [or two] at the tasting room SRP of $40. The first time I tasted this wine it had only been in the bottle for just 75 days. In the glass, you'll find it's big, bold, and brooding, leaning toward a [petit sirah] PS in color.

I knew back then, [yes, boasting] this wine was going to be a freaking monster of finesse, flavor and fun to uncork at a later time. I recommended it immediately to anyone who would hear me, but sadly my praise [which may have sounded more like adulation] fell upon deaf-ears [crickets]. 

So once more here I am again beating the drum, attempting to bring attention to what I know you'll find is an amazing bottle of wine. Soon as you pop the cork, you'll find truck-loads of blackberry, dark rich-ripe plum; crème de cassis [not kidding either] which pulsates on the palate, making you wish you had another bottle or two on stand-by. The plush, well integrated tannin and the judicious use of oak combine their wonder-twin powers for a silky long finish.

It does still have a bit more Washington-State Merlot style to me, a bit sweeter and softer then a Napa Valley Cab-Sauv. But for the average vino-sapien, this wine is every bit as approachable as you'd hope any domestic wine would/could be. Grab some for yourself that is if there is any left, I stand by previous score of 92 points and highly recommend it to you. So until next time folks remember life is short, sip long and prosper cheers!


Comments

Popular Posts