Obsessions: New World Record Set for a Single Bottle of Wine

Many folks have collections of one sort or the other. Wine of course is no exception of some folks need or just raw desire to collect things, classify and put them on shelves. Sometimes our need to trophy hunt or collect things gets in the way of good sense and we finds ourselves spiraling out of control in search that object of our desire. 

This guys pursuit of this bottle of wine appears to be a cap-stone of a life-long career in the wine-biz. Personally I don't see problem with this gentlemen paying a little more than a hundred grand for a single bottle of wine, after all it's what the market will bear. I'm not saying I would pay that kind of coin even if I could afford it though.

I'm just making a casual observation about a subject which has me curiously interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on this semi-interesting news story. Here's the story; "former sommelier and wine expert Christian Vanneque has acquired a single bottle 1811 Château d’Yquem for $117,000, setting the record as world’s most expensive bottle of wine". Read More at Wine Enthusiast.

Thomas Merton a Trappist Monk who lived in the 20th century had a word of advice about obsessions and I'm paraphrasing a bit, “We are so obsessed with obtaining the elusive, we have no time for imagination or left for being. As a result, men are valued not for what they are but for what they do or what they have"   Interesting perspective, on today's material world.

I'm so glad to hear his reasons behind paying that kind of money on a single bottle of wine and I'm also very happy to hear he plans to uncork it relatively soon. So many collectors just collect wines with no intention to ever enjoy them or share them with others. I can't wait to hear his thoughts and impressions about a wine that was in the bottle when James Madison was still a sitting president in the Oval Office. 

But what do you think? Is paying that kind of coin just over the top? Or if you had that kind of discretionary income, would you spend it on a single bottle of wine? Of course I understand that this just isn't any bottle of wine, that it has a few unique qualities that make it different than just any bottle of Château d’Yquem. I look forward to your thoughts and impressions. Until next time sip long and prosper everyone, cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts