Wine of the Week: 2009 Casanova Di Neri 'Rosso"

“When a man is in love very little is enough to throw him into despair and as little to enhance his joy to the utmost.” ― Giacomo Casanova

Ugh, can you believe that the beautiful month of May is nearly over? We are about to stretch out our arms while the warmth of June slowly creeps in over the weekend. If you don't live in San Diego, you have my apologies in advance, because it's going to be a picture perfect weekend here. 

I know, I know you may be thinking, "uh, didn't you already have a wine of the week?".  Ha, why yes I did and thanks so much for paying attention. That means, as hard as it's for me to believe that you are reading my blog. You folks really are funny, but I truly appreciate each and every one of you for being here. 

Now about the wine pictured above, which I will point out again is NOT a sample; instead, it's a bottle of wine I purchased via the sweat of my brow. This wine is from a producer which some dismiss as making an international style, but none-the-less this so-called declassified Brunello which sells for an SRP of $18 is one of the best values going in Italian wine. 

It's 100% Sangiovese Grosso, and it's 100% approachable now, even into the future if you could wait that long. Which, unfortunately, many folks where I work couldn't wait after I recommended this beauty and purchased all 2009 to be had at the shop and or that Ken could get his hands on. 

But the good news is that 2010 is in plentiful supply and ready to rock, just not to the same extent as 2009, because the ten was a cooler vintage. That said if you want a truly authentic Tuscan wine experience look no further than this beauty from Casanova, this wine comes dressed to impress, from the time the cork is popped to the last drop to fall from the bottle.
  
What you’ll find as you get the first slurp of this [09/10] wine in your glass is layers of sweet, complex dark and red fruit, balanced by vibrant acidity. Nicely polished tannin's, invite slurp after slurp. You’ll find both wines offer a plush, full, smooth flow across your palate. This wine finishes, clean, and becomes the center of attention [but won't get in the way of food] as the finish seems to last and last. 

And oh if you're wondering what to pair? I know I often recommend consulting your Italian cuisine recipes cards, but to be perfectly honest either of these wines will easily pair with just about anything you throw at, of course, there are exceptions, but really they're few. Until next folks, remember life is short, so sip long and prosper cheers! 

Comments

Popular Posts